Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Correction: I can't breathe

Bah! Stupid head cold! Been honkin' like a gander for a couple of days now. It's amazing how much you take breathing for granted til it becomes difficult. I feel almost euphoric in those few moments where things are actually clear and I can get enough air.

While not on the same scale, I'm reminded of Jon Krakauer's book Into Thin Air. In the beginning he talks about being on top of Mt. Everest. He had been to the top and was on his way down. His group's oxygen supplies were running low. Virtually everyone was suffering from some sort of delusional thinking (elevation sickness) because of the reduced oxygen supply. One of the first symptoms is losing the ability to think clearly and logically.

He and some other hikers were trying to figure out how much oxygen they actually had. Things got confusing and someone opened Krakauer's oxygen tank all the way. Suddenly he could think clearly and he felt good, reinvigorated. That's kind of how I feel when I can breathe for a minute. Of course, in Krakauer's book, he feels good just long enough to realize that he's running out of oxygen quickly and is seriously f****d! You'll have to read it to see how it worked out. All I'll say is that if you don't believe in miracles, you will after you read that, despite the tragedy surrounding it.

Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home