Wednesday, April 26, 2006

My Bisexual Tree

Not quite a year after we moved into the house we live in now, we discovered that our tree in our front yard has an identity problem, and ever since, we've affectionately referred to it as our bisexual tree. I don't know quite how it works, a landscaping guy tried to explain it to me, but this tree is two distinctly different kinds of tree at once, a mutant of sorts, I suppose. For all but maybe two weeks in April, you'd never be able to tell, but for those two weeks, part of the tree blooms with wonderful little white flowers (dogwood, I think), and the other part blooms not just a different color, but a completely different pink flower.

Whatever the case, it's a happy little tree(thanks Deb!) just as it is. There must be something attractive about it, because the week the white flowers open, the front yard sounds like an airport with all the bumble bee traffic. Fortunately, they are too concerned with the flowers to worry about people.

(click to enlarge)


Here's a shot of the Easter eggs my son made, I was just playing around with how close i could get to an object and have it still be in focus, but it's still fun.


And finally, I have to give Mrs. Dave mad props for the cake she made for my son's birthday. Because she made not one, not two, but three of these things! One for my son's daycare class, one for his nursery school class and one for his birthday party. I don't know how she has the patience for it, but bless her, she does. Each car was a little different, but this was the basic idea. Strangely enough the biggest problem she had was getting the number 4 right on both doors. On two cakes the passenger side door 4 was backwards. Small potatoes, though. And yes, it was a "Hot Wheels" themed party in case you were wondering. One thing has concerned me with the flame style though, and I've seen it many more places than just in Hot Wheels stuff. When did flames start all looking like the Grinch's hand as he's about to pluck an ornament of some poor Who's Christmas tree? Look around, you'll see what I mean.

1 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger deb said...

heehee - a happy little tree! paging Bob Ross ;)

btw, tell your wife she did an incredible job on the cake! talk about patience--how long did it take her to decorate it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home