Monday, May 16, 2005

My Pet Hammerhead

Apparently my luck and grace tickets expired on Saturday, because Sunday was rough for me. It started out well enough. Little boy got up a little earlier than normal, but he was good. So after a fine breakfast, we were upstairs getting ready to go to see little boy's grandparents. We were waiting for Mrs. Dave to finish getting ready.

Little boy and I were roughhousing on the bed, as we are prone to doing when nothing else is happening. So, we tumbled and wrestled and tickled and giggled. We had worn ourselves out a bit and I was lying on my back looking up. My son was looking back at me and imitating his mother scolding him "I'm not playing with you!" he said with a smile and pointed finger. He got a little closer, "I'm not playing with you!" This time I was laughing because he did the impression so well. I turned my eyes just to glance at the TV when, without warning, WHAM! It felt like a hammer hit me in the cheek just below my eye. I howled in pain and surprise, then little boy was crying and Mrs. Dave is trying to figure out what the hell happened.

Mrs. Dave, of all people taught little boy early on how to "clunk" heads. It was just a gentle head butt, but they've gotten a little out of control of late. We're trying to get him to stop, but it's a slow process. He just doesn't realize how hard he's doing it sometimes. But, he was just trying to clunk me on the forehead, but he brought the hammer down. Oy! It hurt the rest of the day! Fortunately, no bruising, though. A friend of mine had something similar happen, but it did a lot more damage, she was lucky it didn't break the bone around the eye orbit.

But, as I said, grace expired, too. We have semi-spiral stair cases in our house. That means that instead of a real landing to turn to continue up the stairs, there are two steps cut at 45°. Or you could say the landing is a triangle. But, I think semi-spiral stairs is accurate. But I'm going downstairs to check the laundry, when my foot slips on one of these stairs. I tried to catch myself (unfortunately it's not an uncommon occurence), but it was too late. My left foot shot out and headed further down the stair, and my right foot got stuck on the step enough that I couldn't get it in front of me. So, I'm rushing toward the wall, with no real way to stop. CRACK! I felt my knee impact the wall. I braced for the pain. I was sure I must have broken my kneecap with that noise...but nothing serious came. It was me vs. the wall and the wall lost. Luckily, I hit a hollow part of the wall instead of a stud, and it gave way. Walking down the stairs at my house can be dangerous for me, and ours are carpeted! So, of course, after she realized I was Ok, Mrs. Dave starts laughing uncontrollably.

But I wasn't done. Somehow, and it's still a mystery, I was using the restroom, *ahem* in the uniquely male position of standing, and while everything felt normal, somewhere, somehow things were taking a detour and hitting the wall. (Cue more of Mrs. Dave's uncontrolable laughter)It was truly bizarre. I shan't try to over analyze it, but how do you miss that bad?? ;-)

Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home