Thursday, April 07, 2005

Bob's Big Job in the Sky

So yesterday was little boy's 3rd Birthday. How time flies. We looked at photos of him from when he was born, and it's hard to believe how far he has come in that time. Then so tiny with those super-chubby cheeks. We had a birthday party for him last weekend, with Bob the Builder as the theme. Mrs. Dave made a great cake shaped like Bob, and we had all the other necessary treatments, including a huge mylar balloon.

The party went off without a hitch, more or less. It rained, but there weren't so many people inside you couldn't stand it. Yesterday was his actual birthday so Mrs. Dave and I took the day off and went to the zoo with him. We had a great time. If even one of the photos I took of the Polar Bear turn out nicely, I'll be happy. You'll understand when I post them.

Anyway, we came back from a beautiful day at the zoo (80°, sunny). We were relaxing and little boy played on his sand table outside. He wandered in occasionally, then back out. Well, suddenly I hear squeals and shrieks of despair from outside. He had taken his Bob the Builder balloon outside and let go. "Balloon! Come back!"

So I ran outside thinking he was hurt or something. Then I figured out what happened and searched the sky for the balloon. Then I found it. The string had a little clip on the end, which got hung up in some tree branches down the road a little. Stuck way too high for anyone to get down, and ensnared enough to not get out of the tree even with a brisk wind.

So, we had to tell him that Bob was gone and wouldn't come back. "He had a big job to do, so he had to go," to which he responded "He had a job up in the sky?" Yes, he sure did. I'll post a pic of it stuck in the tree when it's ready. But now he says Hi and Bye to Bob (we can still see it from our deck). Who knows how long it will be up there, even after its mostly deflated.

Here he is, soon after he was headed to the big job:


Within about 10 minutes of that, Bob's day got worse. Mrs. Dave was making another BtB cake for his party at daycare. She had to leave before it was done and left it in my incapable hands. It actually went well enough. I checked it to see if it was done correctly etc. Then I took it out and let it cool for 5 minutes. Now I had to pop it out of the pan and onto a cooling rack. So, I put the rack upside down on the cake, then flipped the whole thing over and popped off the cake pan. Beautiful! Hooray! I did it without f***ing up! But it was a little at an angle on the rack.

Have you ever had one of those moments where your brain is screaming "DON'T DO IT," but some other part of your body takes over and does it anyway? As I put my hand so very gently under the cake to adjust it, brain saying "You idiot Stoooooooooop!" I lifted it and it sagged a little in the middle. I put it down to readjust my finger and suddenly, I had nearly-headless Bob laying on the rack. He cracked right along his chin. Luckily Mrs. Dave was able to save him using icing. I should listen to myself more...

Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home