Thursday, July 27, 2006

Won't you be my sugar doggie?

I think I mentioned this a while ago, but I don't feel like looking back right now, so if you know the first part of this, bear with me. A few months ago my dog, a miniature schnauzer, got very sick. He had the worst case of pancreatitis our vet had ever seen. His tests weren't just off the chart, they were way, way, way off the chart. So we did everything the vet told us and he seemed to get quite a bit better. The vet also told us things to watch out for, mainly lethargy and increased drinking and peeing. I started noticing both last Wednesday. At first, I thought it wasn't anything but my imagination because Mrs. Dave wasn't home and I was just being overly sensitive. But it didn't subside.

So back to the vet we go. After doing some tests, he confirmed that our little fella is diabetic. The good thing is that we seem to have caught it very early, before it affected any of his organs adversely. The bad thing is that we now have to test his urine every day, and give him two shots every day, of which he is not very fond. I can't blame him. I had to give myself shots for a while earlier this year, and it's no fun. But more fun is collecting his urine, which is especially tough when he lifts his leg to pee on the fence. The things we Americans do for our pets!

So, right now, he is a "healthy" diabetic, we just hope he stays that way.

Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home