Monday, March 19, 2007

North and South of the Border

My good buddy Jeope is a fine Canadian citizen. Why he likes to freeze his assets in Winnipeg, as a Mid-Atlantic American, I cannot understand. Be that as it may, I still like him a lot, and his photography and illustration work has inspired me to do more with this blog than when I originally started it. After meeting him in Vegas at the HOW Conference, I found him to be much like his online personality, only with odor.

Ok, cross that with my listening to the book Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. This is the prequel to The DaVinci Code (or is it the TDC is just the sequel to A&D - bah!). If you know the story, ambigrams play an important symbolic role in the story. So I checked out the book just to see the ambigrams. It really touched a nerve for me, I guess. I've been fiddling with ambigrams ever since. I even went out and got WordPlay by John Langdon (yes he was the inspiration for the main character's name) and checked out his website. I was just blown away. I still have a ways to go in terms of artistic excellence, but I'm getting the hang of the conceptual side.


Now, put those two items together and lay it on the US-Canada border, if he looked at it from the north facing south, and I looked at it from the south facing north, we'd see the same thing:



I got a lot of inspiration from Jeope saying on a forum that his parents were hippies and part of the reason they picked this name is because the letters were all round. Just looking at the word Jeope made me think it might not happen at first. The J is an odd duck kind of letter, and many of the ways I tried to combine the J and the E were just way too forced to be very legible. Then just before I gave up on it, one of my doodles suddenly had the answer, which you see above. Great! I think to myself. Now if I can just combine a P and an E, Oy! no easy task there either. Given the loopiness of the J and the E, I started playing with that idea here as well. I came up with the shapes you see above, but the E was again looking a bit forced, Ok, next to the J, it wasn't reading like an E unless you point it out. Well, the O was easy, thank goodness. I had all the letters, but it just didn't seem quite right. The E just kept sayin' "I ain't right yet." After a lot of different experiments, it turned out that just overlapping the EO&P a bit solved the problem. The O cuts off the E in a good place to make it readable as a lower case e, either printed or written in cursive. Then the whole thing snapped together just right.

So that one was fun. Something else was bugging me though. While I did a good ambigram for that, I had a nagging feeling that there was more to explore with Jeope. Round and round and round letters, hmmmm...Oh! Let's try this and whoa! It worked. Can you figure it out? It's not an ambigram at all, just an interesting presentation of the name. Can you figure it out?




Enjoy!

Dave

4 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Great job with the Jeope one! Very cool!

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Mary! Actually they are both Jeope, just presented differently.

Dave

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Jeope said...

I get the other one! And I didn't even have to get legally high, Canadian-style, to do it. Nice work, friend – I may have to steal that one someday.

PS: Odour. Not odor.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

If you like Jeope so much, maybe you should marry him!

Hahahaha!

Seriously though, those are cool. (Cooler than Jeope.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home