Saturday, January 15, 2005

Safety Kills

Sometimes in our litigious society we are bent into irregular shapes in order to keep "safe". To walk in the warehouse of my company, you must have steel-toed shoes. Now, if you work back there, you're more likely to have a pair, but I don't work back there, so I don't have any. That's the case for a lot of people here. So, they have these steel foot covers that you have to put on over your shoe. It's kinda like wearing a sandal, except the sole would be hard and on the top of your foot instead of the bottom. No forklifts tried to run over my toes, so I can't vouch for their effectiveness. BUT, I got to the receiving dock where I had to check out some stuff. There were several boxes on the floor, some of which didn't have labels. Without really thinking about it, I squatted down to get a better look and OWWWW!!!!! Steel foot covers don't bend with your feet like shoes and the end of the cover jammed into the front of my ankle hard, knocked me on my butt! Could have been avoided...all I'm saying, with a little common sense.
 
Dave

3 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger devon spec said...

AHAHAHAHA!!!!! you ok? :D

my first time i found it hard to deal with them too. i told the guys they were worse than heels! i truly believe that.

i remember in the steel mill the guys gave all of us college girls names,... muffin, bambi.... they were crazy guys!
my first day, they decided to "initiate" me by getting those pointy polar cups and sticking them in grease and sticking them to my hard hat. i looked like a x-mas ornament.

and the crane guy would throw rotten apples at me from the crane that he found on lunch break... quite a few welts i had.

sooo... i got smitty back by soaking a big piece of chalk i used to tag the bundles with, and it expanded all up very nicely, and then "WHOOSH!" kerrrrr-SPLAT! all over the front of his crane window... hehe.

crazy kids.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Mary said...

How IRONIC is that? I really think that things are over-done in the safety department these days. I mean, seriously! How did man ever make it this far? These days there are warnings and safety regulations everywhere...I think society can go a little over-board!

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, I was fine. Caught me by surprise more than anything, though it was painful at that moment. Plus you look so dorky with them on. Add on safety glasses and a kevlar glove and you're talking fashion icon, baby! And I'm the Savvy Designer Fashionista!

Devon, your old employer sounds like it was a downright hostile place to work! ;-)

Dave

 

Post a Comment

<< Home