Wednesday, December 22, 2004

I'm a Lifer

*sigh* I guess I don't have supernatural powers yet. While it's not really bad news, it's not the news I was hoping to hear yesterday. Without going into too much detail, I went to the doctor yesterday and found out I'm most likely going to have to stay on blood thinners the rest of my life. The blood test came back and I was still in the moderately elevated range of the test. That basically means that if I stop taking the thinner, there's an increased chance of having another, potentially life-threatening, or as the doctor put it "life-taking," blood clot. So, I was more than a little bummed about that.
 
The good thing is that my clot over the summer (if indeed that's what I had) didn't cause any damage and I survived it. That meant they were able to treat it, and get me on these thinners, which treated that clot, but also helps prevent future occurrences. So, I'm Ok, and if I keep taking this medication, the chances of it happening again are almost nil. But I just don't like the idea that I'm going to be dependent on this stuff forever. Knowing that if I screw up somehow and don't take it for some period of time by accident, I'm taking serious chances with my life.
 
Taking the medicine isn't so bad, really. Even the test to check levels isn't bad, it's just going to get the test that's a pain. They say it will eventually become a home test, but not yet. It's just a little finger-prick test, I'm guessing it's much like an insulin test for diabetics. Something like that anyway.
 
So, the good news is - I'm alive and relatively well, the bad news - I'm stuck taking this stuff forever. Well, if I absolutely had to have this condition somehow, I've got the best outlook possible, for which I am very grateful. That little boy in the picture and Mrs. Dave need me, and I really want to stick around.
 
Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home